Whether an individual suffers pain due to arthritis, fibromyalgia, cancer treatments, any old injury or any other reason, it is important to find a way that brings the situation under control.
The first step involves pain management. Scheduling an appointment with the physician to know the reason of the problem along with the best approach to bring relief is something most of us do. As there are many treatment options available, it is possible to get the right treatment combination for comfort and quick relief.
Why everyone experience pain differently?
Pain is a real feeling of discomfort and is physical. However, it is measured on the bases of the patient’s perception about the same. This is the reason why everyone goes through different degree of problem. Whatever our brain perceives is certainly affected by emotions. In other words, individuals who have fear of pain, are anxious or depressed experience the condition in a different way and perhaps in a severe way as compared to the person who is in the same zone but unaffected by other emotions.
Treating Mind and Body
It is interesting to know that pain should be approached physically and emotionally. While for some people, chronic pain medication can prove beneficial and effective, is can’t have similar effect on others. For such people, there are many other treatment options available, as per pain management Greenville. A number of medicines are prescribed for pain; however, benzodiazepines and opioids are not considered the best options. Check out the popular chronic pain medications used:
- Steroids like prednisone and dexamethasone to ease inflammation and pain
- Antidepressants that improve sleep and improve pain
- NSAIDs(non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) including ibuprofen, aspirin and naproxen
- Anti-seizure medications, which are effective in treating pain related to nerve damage or injury
Therapies aim at mind as well as body. There are two types of therapy, physical and cognitive-behavioral therapy.
- Physical therapy:It is a very important aspect of every pain management program. With the assistance of physical therapist, it is convenient to tailor the right exercise routine. Regular and proper exercise helps in improving the tolerance and reducing the pain.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy: This therapy allows individuals to learn and gain better understanding of the root cause behind the pain and how to deal with it. It mainly involves understanding the role of pain in life and what it really means.
Some other pain management options
- TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) therapy
- Heat and cold therapy
- Relaxation techniques
- Biofeedback (it teaches control over muscle tension, heart rate, temperature and more)
- Manipulation and massage
by Jennifer More,